Monday, May 24, 2010

The End of a Bad-Ass, 24 Comes to a Close



One of my favorite shows is coming to a close. Kiefer Sutherland's role as Counter Terrorist Agent/American Hero/Bad-Ass Jack Bauer is coming to an epic end. The 8 year series comes to a close tonight and I will always remember it as an addicting, adrenaline rush, filled with twists, general outrageousness, with a side of unintentional comedy and some overall really intense moments.

Sure some story lines were simply awful, like Kim Bauer getting kidnapped 2348032 times or getting chased by the mountain lion or some random story that you think is there to just to kill some time, but this show was still addicting and was the perfect action thriller post 9/11. I discovered 24 sophomore year in college when season 4 premiered. I watched the season premiere, then immediately went to amazon and bought the first 3 seasons. This show was perfect for college. I would stay up until 2 AM, telling myself "ok last episode" but then find myself throwing in the next disk. I easily got other people addicted to it and it made our Monday nights entertaining. In college, you would make up games just to drink and this was another example. We would watch 24 and play the 24 drinking game. (Damn it! drink!) And remember, at it's peak, I say Season 4 or 5, it was a must watch, it won an Emmy for Best Drama, Kiefer won best actor and Jon Cassar did win Best Director.

24 was an easy, entertaining show that would leave me bitter because I had to wait the full week to watch the next hour. The cast always had some nice talent (see Cuthbert, Elisha or Wershing, Annie) and guest appearances (see Voight, John or Jin from LOST) that would have you saying "hey it's that guy from _______." I will definitely miss 24 and hope that the rumors of a movie spin-off are true because lets face it, Kiefer Sutherland can't find another movie or TV gig anymore. Him and Jack Bauer will be linked for life, and I think that's more of a compliment for how great he was on the show.

So tonight, grab a beer, or at least 6, and get ready to drink up. Jack is pissed and ready to make you drink.

Some quick 24 drinking rules.

Every time someone says "Damn It!"
Every time someone says "There's not enough time!"
Every time Jack kills someone.
Every time Jack does something badass.

Here are all of Jack's kills through 11:00 PM of this year. (Season ends at 4 PM.)

No comments:

Post a Comment